Also known as : 시아준수, 細亞俊秀 (Xiah Junsu), ジュンス (Junsu), Xia
Height : 178cm Weight : 60kg Blood Type : Type B
Education : Musical Performance, Myongji University
Twitter: @0101xiahtic (inactive), @1215thexiahtic
Kim Junsu was born on December 15, 1986 (January 1, 1987 registered birth date) at Gyeonggi-do, South Korea. He has an older fraternal twin, Junho. In elementary school he was a member of a dance group, ‘SRD’. He joined the Korean talent agency SM Entertainment at the age of eleven.
Junsu debuted as part of the group TVXQ on December 26, 2003 and was the group’s main vocalist and lead dancer. Solo activities, collaboration, composition and songwriting during his TVXQ days include:
- “Beautiful Thing” – Recorded in the OST for “Vacation” (2006)
- “Rainy Night” – Recorded in Japanese Single “If…/Rainy Night” (2008)
- “White Lies” – Recorded in TVXQ’s third Korean album “MIROTIC” versions C & D only (2008)
- “All Rise” – Performed at 1st Asia Tour “Rising Sun”(2006)
- “My Page” – Performed at 2nd Asia Tour “O” (2007)
- “Timeless” – Duet with Zhang Liyin (2006)
- TPL (Talk, Play, Love)/Promise You/Day Dream – Anyband (With BoA, Tablo & Jin Bora) for Samsung Anycall (2007)
- Wrote rap Lyrics (with Yoochun and YH) of “Love After Love” – Recorded in 2nd Korean Album “Rising Sun” (DBSK 2005)
- Composed “네 곁에숨쉴수있다면 (White Lie)” – Recorded in 3rd Korean Studio Album “O Jung.Ban.Hap” (DBSK 2006)
- Composed “My Page” – Performed at 2nd Asia Tour “O” (DBSK 2007)
- Composed “Rainy Night” – Recorded in Japanese Single “If…/Rainy Night” (THSK 2008)
- Wrote the lyrics of “노을..바라보다 (Picture of You)” – Recorded in 4th Korean Studio Album “Mirotic” (DBSK 2008)
- Wrote rap part (with YH) of “사랑 안녕 사랑 (Love Bye Love)” – Recorded in 4th Korean Studio Album “Mirotic – C Version” (DBSK 2008)
- Composed “XIAHTIC” (Korean Ver.) – Performed at 3rd Asia Tour “Mirotic” ft. Key from SHINee (DBSK 2009)
- Composed “XIAHTIC” (Japanese Ver.) – Recorded in Japanese Single “Break Out!” (THSK 2010)
On May 26, 2010, he released his first Japanese EP, Xiah, it consists of two ballad tracks, Beautiful Love and 悲しみのゆくえ and an R&B track, Intoxication. Beautiful Love and Intoxication were featured in Bee-Tv’s drama Beautiful Love, starring JYJ member Yoochun. The other track in the album, 悲しみのゆくえ was featured in drama “A Love Letter 5 Years From Now”, as its theme song.
On June 2010, Junsu started his activities as part of the trio, JYJ. His solo activities and contributions to the group includes:
- “Too love” – Recorded in KBS Korean Drama Sungkyunkwan Scandal OST Album (2010)
- “I can Soar” – Recorded in “JYJ The Beginning” Worlwide Album (2010)
- You Are So Beautiful” – Recorded in SBS Korean Drama “Scent of a Woman” OST Album (2011)
- “사 랑이 싫다구요” ["I Don't Like Love" / "Dislike Love" / "Love Means Nothing to Me"] – Recorded in SBS Korean Drama “Rooftop Prince” OST Single (2012)
- Composed “I can Soar” – Recorded in JYJ Worlwide Album “The Beginning” (JYJ 2010)
- Composer, Lyricist & Arranger of “Mission” (Micky wrote the rap part) – Recorded in 1th Korean Album “JYJ Mussic Essay – Their Rooms” (JYJ 2010)
- Composer & Lyricist & Arranger of “Fallen Leaves” – Recorded in 1th Korean Album “JYJ Mussic Essay – Their Rooms” (JYJ 2010)
- Lyricist of ”You’re” – Recorded in JYJ Album “In Heaven” (2011); Performed in 2011 JYJ World Tour Concert (2011-2012)
On May 14, 2012, Junsu released his first Korean studio album Tarantallegra under the stage name Xia and went on to become the highest selling solo album ever on Gaon chart, one of the top album selling charts in South Korea. The album contains 12 tracks in total and Xia directly took part in producing, composing, and writing lyrics for most of the songs.The album is filled by songs with various genres, such as R&B, dance, ballad, etc. Title track “Tarantallegra” was composed and arranged by Xia, while its lyrics were written by Junho, Xia’s twin brother. He also collaborated with rapper Flowsik of Asian-American music group Aziatix, rappers Bizzy,Double K, and Dynamic Duo. Fellow JYJ member, Kim Jaejoong also participated in the album by composing and writing the R&B track, No Gain.
In January 2010, Kim Junsu started his stage career as the lead actor in the Korean production of the Austrian “Mozart! Das Musical”, His debut as a stage actor was met with great response.He won Best New Actor and Popular Star Award from during the 4th Musical Awards and 16th Korea Musical Awards and Ticket Power Award for Musical Actor Category during the 2010 Golden Ticket Awards.
On October 2010, Junsu, in collaboration with the Hungarian composer Sylvester Levay, performed a concert called “Kim Junsu Musical Concert, Levay with Friends”. It was held at the Olympic Gymnastics Arena in Seoul from the 7th until the 10th for a total of 4 days. Junsu introduced “Miss You So”, a song that was written especially for him by Levay, to the fans and also performed Intoxication. A DVD of the concert was released on March 14, 2011.
In February 2011, Junsu starred in “Tears of Heaven”, his second musical. He played Jun, a Korean soldier who fell in love with a Vietnamese singer during the Vietnam war. In May, Junsu was appointed as the honorary ambassador for the 5th Musical Awards, was Nominated for Best Actor and won the Popular Actor Award. He won the same during the 17th Korea Musical Award.
In February 2012, Junsu starred in the Korean production of famous Viennese musical Elisabeth as the transcendental existence Tod or Death. Again, he was nominated for Best Actor and won the Popular Actor Award in the 6th The Musical Awards.
Junsu appeared as himself in the Banjun Drama and Vacation of SBS in 2006. He also acted in Dating on Earth (2006) and had a cameo appearance in the 5th episode of the 2011 SBS drama Scent of a Woman.
He also starred, alongside Song Ji Hyo, in the music video of In Heaven, the lead track of JYJ’s first Korean full-length album with the same title, which was released on September 28, 2011.
Junsu is a soccer enthusiast and the captain of the celebrity soccer team, FC Men.
He received the World K-POP Superstar Award at the 3rd Asia Jewelry Awards on December 6, 2011.
He is also involved in various charity activities and has been working with the Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) Korea, a private international aid group of the UN Cooperation, for years.
Sources and external links: